Monday, July 30, 2018

The Sasquatch Tornado





Thought I'd share a little story of an experience a friend of mine Tom and I had a couple years ago. Tom is a fellow researcher and close friend here in Tennessee. About once a month we'll meet up for a weekend of camping at one of our research areas. A couple years ago on July 4th weekend we went camping at one of our favorite research spots. This area is totally secluded and miles from anyone or anything. First of all I'm not suggesting that anyone try this and if you do, it's at your own risk. Somehow or another we got the bright idea to get fireworks and try to draw in some attention from the local bigfoot. Trying to have the respectful approach, we made sure to ask for fireworks that were quiet and only produced bright colors...absolutely no loud explosions.


Well, it was getting pretty late so out came the fireworks. I placed them in the middle of the road, lit the fuse and ran off...waiting. Next thing you know the entire surrounding forest is lit up like a football stadium and explosions are going off like a complete war zone. Leaves are raining down everywhere from the rockets exploding in the trees. We are totally freaking out from the complete betrayal of the fireworks salesman's promise of "These aren't the type that explode."
Fully expecting zero activity due to our failed attempt at "entertaining" the local Sasquatch, we immediately start speaking out loudly towards the woods..."We're very sorry for the noise! We didn't know this was going to happen! We're sorry!" Absolutely disgusted with ourselves and the deed we'd done, we head back to our campsite with our ears still ringing form the recent battle. Eventually we called it a night and got into our campers for bed.


I'd say about 30 minutes after going to bed, Tom radios me saying something is throwing rocks at his metal fold-out camp table next to his camper. I have the window next to my head open so I begin listening intently for anything and everything. A few minutes later I begin hearing what sounded like small pebbles smacking the backside of my camper. It's not overwhelming, but just an occasional "tap...tap" of pebbles. After a little while longer all seems to go quiet and being totally exhausted, I eventually start drifting off to sleep. That was until something with VERY  heavy footsteps runs quickly past the window next to my head. My eyes pop wide open and I just lay there frozen. Next, I hear a really loud CRACK! from the woods on the other side of my camper. I then hear what sounds like a very large tree being dragged through the woods. Snaps and pops of limbs underfoot are all around our campsite! Tom gets back on the radio and says "Are you hearing all this? It sounds like a sasquatch tornado out there!" At that point it was starting to almost become hilarious at the activity all around us as it didn't seem aggressive, just noisy! It was like the entire family came out to say hi!


For pretty much the rest of the night there was constantly some type of snapping limbs and brush being moved around. We never did see anything, but they definitely made their presence known. I'll have to say, this night was one of the best memories I have to date involving sasquatch research. We will be returning to this location very soon and needless to say I'll bring a few fireworks. Just maybe not as obnoxious as the last ones...sparklers maybe?





No comments:

Post a Comment